Friday, August 11

Cupcakes: An Evening in Review

Cupcake Trial #1: Yummy Cupcakes in Burbank. (I'll add a picture in here once I get them from Mack)

A good variety of flavors to choose from. I went with the Lemon Tart (lemon cake with lemon buttercream) and the Yummy Cupcake (chocolate cake, pink vanilla buttercream, chocolate sprinkles). Mack got a few other varieties that she'll have to add her input on.

Lemon Tart: Appearance- 9/10-very cute, lots of variety. The best deal ever? You can buy a "misfit cupcake" (imperfectly shaped) for only $1. Cake- 7/10- the lemon flavor was excellent, but it could've been a little more moist. that being said, we were eating them around 6pm so i didn't dock too many points. Frosting- 6/10- good lemon flavor, but super rich and there was a ton of it. if that's what you go for then you're set, but i personally would've enjoyed a lemon whipped cream frosting, or even a meringue of sorts.

(Note: I never got to eat the Yummy cupcake because I was so full. My Dad and sister said they enjoyed it.)

Now that I've been overly scientific and more than a little critical, I'll say that Yummy was, well, yummy, very pretty, and should definitely be journeyed too. Just bring some milk.

Of course after returning from Yummy I made my own cupcakes for work today....I'm not even going to try and hold them to my own cupcake-reviewing standards. I think they fall under the "not very aesthetically pleasing and a little messy but still delicious" category. Not that I'll be eating any today. I need to be put on a cupcake time out or I might be ill.

1 comment:

Mackalicious said...

Ok, I've finished the cupcakes. One by one, here are my results:

Chocolate/Vanilla- 7.5/10. Delicious, but the cake could have been more moist and the frosting was so sweet that it overwhelmed me to the max.

Lemon Tart- Mom says it was good

Fudge Yummy- 9/10. I hesitate to give the 10, because my cupcake experience is so limited, but this was damn near perfect. I am PMS-ing so that might skew the results, but sweet jesus that was a satisfying little chocolate bomb. Moisture level was ideal, due to the chocolate ganache surprise inside. Frosting was delicious but not so much as to be overwhelming. Sprinkles were a good touch. Highly recommended.

Worm in the dirt- 8.5/10 Bonus points for creativity. The frosting was delicious, the cake was moister than the first one. I just thought the worm was so fun that I had to give it at least an 8.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon- 9.5/10 Again, I hesitate with the 10s, but this was GOOD. Cream cheese frosting was perfect. It was baked to the perfect degree so the edges were slightly crispy and browned. Cinnamony and delicious.

There you go. My official report. Quite lengthy.